At times past, people always wanted to just be doctors, lawyers and engineers. Now, we cut ourselves some slack. Some parents no longer disown their children for being musicians, actors and so on. Of course, most of these ideas involve capital, the main issue of our youth. In conclusion, youths have ideas, but the problem is capital. All the same here we go.
1. Water production- what might pop up when you see this is ‘so cliche’ or related thoughts with that sour expression. In some northern parts of Nigeria you could invest in drinking water, especially chilled or iced. You might want to visit to get a feel of what you want to get into. Just one day in some hot, dusty land is enough to make you discover how important chilled water can be. Believe it or not, one of the issues we face in Nigeria is water pollution, so people rely on the drinking water they buy. Even in Lagos, which is near the coast, it comes as a surprise that the water is not potable. This brings us to water plant (if you want to dream big and actually accomplish this with capital). You could name your water corporation, register your business name and boom! You have arrived? After maybe, a series of setbacks, but it is all about the light at the end of the tunnel. Haha, look at the bright side ehn.
2. Driver- you’re like, ‘this is sick, i will never be a bus driver or a cab driver’ but you see, you can always tush things up. You could have a car services agency! Get a good vehicle, advertise your company on the newspaper after assembling your team, leave your contact (get a card). This way people can order your services for a period of time for a set price given by you. Professionalism is very vital.
3. Private investigator- who says you need a degree in criminology. Nothing goes without research though, so research properly on what this entails. You don’t really need to pay office rent for that or maybe you do. A coffee maker might be handy to keep you charged (don’t become an addict o. Like ‘Sontom when are you going to get a job?’ And you’re like ‘i’m a PI, just sipping some coffee to keep me charged’ but you’re sipping more coffee than you’re PIing. You’re saying right now that you can’t be a PI out of the blue, but you can, following the necessary step. Show the law enforcement and our democracy that you can do better, and who knows? You can find yourself working hand in hand, when it comes to apprehending criminals and enforcing the law.
A private investigator investigates a lot of things from secretly investigating the sharks of society to investigating why a building collapsed, or who is cheating on who or who poisoned the well; you know what i mean?
This is a stew you leave to simmer. Yum yum.
4. Supplier- imagine a van that transports goods from manufacturers to the wholesaler, retailer and consumer. This isn’t a new trend. It has been going on for a long time. Join the team and make a change. Tush things up like ‘wellington swift services’. Transportation could be by any means: a van, a bus, a car, a motorcycle. In addition, get a notebook. This should be for the receiver’s signature. Records are very important, especially for reference purposes.
Supply type: tomatoes- tick.
Intact goods- tick or cross.
Package type: basket- tick
Places your transport services company can work with could ne newspaper companies, markets, farms. Get a card, open a website where half of Nigeria can register their address or whoever you’re supplying too and begin. Discretion and quality assurance is important though.
5. Build your own social media- Nigerians love to connect and interract. Try to be unique and innovative about it. Perhaps a forum update on news. Add something new to what we have never seen before.
6. Create a website- Nigerian youths need a platform to advertise their expertise. For example artists that need to sell their works, people that want to render services (editors, consultancy services etcetera). OLX is a good example.
7. Have your own broadcasting station- you could start on YouTube. Go around the city, town or village and talk about what’s happening. Talk about housing, standard of living, resources, other people’s success, inspiring personalities in the community, people of service (an individual that decides independently to fix the road, a good road warden that is very dedicated, a crime fighter in the street), construction companies, interview market women. The list is endless. Get a crew, maybe a van and broadcasting equipment. You could just be a bunch of undergraduates delving in journalism. Investigative journalism is cool.
8. Inventor- Let’s face it, where are we going with the constant fuel scarcity? Fuel is not the only energy source in terms of generator usage. Some people use urine in desperate situations (you’re crinkling your nose). Invent a generator that makes use of waste (probably converting it first) like dustbin heaps. This will get these off the street, villages, cities, and waters. Generators aren’t the only things you can invent. Think of yourself as a kind of architect that builds things that aren’t buildings, but most certainly needed in society and economy friendly.
9. Vehicle towing company- This says it all. You tow vehicles off the roads. You know those people that will park their vehicles at the middle of the road and just go. Do something. We need faster services (never mind the traffic. Applicable not only in Lagos)
10. Firefighting company- unlike ghost busters, you’re just killing the fire.
Make sure to follow necessary procedures and watch out for the next ideas coming your way.